I remember free video games sucked back in the early/mid 2000s. You'd play them for a bit, get really into them, and then realise you have to pay real money to buy in-game items to advance/win. It's always so discouraging. I used to be huge into them, but after a while, I figured "hey, instead of buying these shitty in-game items, I might as well buy a legit game once and never have to pay money again!"

Nowadays, I'm seeing lots of GREAT free games popping up. They are a lot more fair and players do not get an upper hand when they have extra cash to spend.

It's no surprise that League of Legends is one of the most popular games out there. Every week there is a set number of free characters you can play as, but if you have the extra money, you can buy characters that you can play whenever you want. You can also buy skins to make your favourite characters look pretty.

Path of Exile is another good one. It's an online RPG. People say it's the kind of game that Diablo 3 should have been. The only items they sell for real money are strictly for aesthetics. For example, I have a little kiwi bird as a pet. It doesn't attack monsters or anything - it just runs around looking cute.

Steam is also a great place to find pay-games for free. A few years ago, I got a free copy of the first Portal game on Steam (this was around the time that Portal 2 was coming out). I also got Torchlight 1 for free when I purchased a copy of Torchlight 2. And I'm sure by now every steam user has Dota 2.

Anyway, enough rambling from me! Do you have any favourite free games?